Due to the cancellation of the 2020 ICB/TABB Conference, the International Certification Board (ICB) is dedicated to ensuring members are aware of alternate methods for earning Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
CEUs must relate to the scope of certification and are acceptable from the following sources:
Any course endorsed by the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractor’s National Association ( SMACNA)
- Any course sponsored by the local JATC
- Any course offered by a professional association such as the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) or the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- Teaching a course for a local JATC for at least eight hours per year
- Presenting a seminar — agenda and presentation must be provided to receive CEUs
- A published paper related to your certification discipline — eight CEUs will be credited per paper
- Any course or webinar — appropriate documentation must be submitted to receive credits
- Online courses are available from the International Training Institute (ITI). Visitsheetmetal-iti.org for details.
- Online courses are available from the National Energy Management Institute (NEMI). Visit the resources section at nemionline.org or contact Charlett Hardaway email@example.com for details. A course enrollment code is required to access supervisor training courses from NEMI.
One hour of continuing education training equals one CEU.
The number of CEUs required for renewal of certifications is as follows:
- An individual who holds one or more technician certifications needs only to complete a total of four acceptable CEUs to fully renew all technician certifications held by the individual.
- An individual who holds one or more supervisor certifications needs only to complete a total of eight acceptable CEUs to fully renew all supervisor certifications held by the individual.
How to report CEUs
Training courses provided by the ITI automatically report CEUs to your ICB account. For all other sources, you must self-report CEUs by logging in to your ICB account, clicking on the CEUs tab, and entering the following information about the completed course:
- CEU type
- Course title
- Training provider
- Location of the course
- Date of completion
- CEUs earned
ICB/TABB, a program of the National Energy Management Institute Committee (NEMIC), is the first of its kind to gain ANSI (American National Standards Institute) accreditation for certification in the testing, adjusting and balancing and HVAC fire life safety industry. The ICB/TABB program certification is a statement that the technician, supervisor and contractor demonstrate the highest level of professional expertise.
ICB/TABB is one way NEMIC identifies and develops market and educational opportunities for members of SMACNA and SMART, the International Association of Sheet Metal Air, Rail and Transportation Workers.
If you have any questions, contact the ICB office for assistance at 703-299-5646.